Corrective Orthodontic Surgery for Children & Adults
Just as orthodontic treatment straightens your teeth for a healthier and more aesthetically pleasing smile, orthodontic related surgery aids in the preparation and maintenance of the jaw. This helps to ensure an optimal outcome for patients undergoing orthodontic treatment, promoting more desirable results and overall oral health for the patient.
Some of the most common procedures that fall into the realm of orthodontic related surgery include:
- Extraction of primary and/or permanent teeth: If primary teeth are preventing or negatively affecting the proper eruption of permanent teeth, the offending teeth may be recommended for removal. Permanent premolars may be extracted in patients who are at risk for impaction of molars or canines.
- Corrective surgery of the jaw: While orthodontic braces can properly align the teeth, a patient’s bite (the way the jaws fit together) may need correction via a surgical procedure in order to promote efficacy of orthodontia.
- Exposure of canines: Delayed or failed eruption of canine teeth can complicate orthodontic treatment. The canines are exposed so that brackets can be placed, gradually drawing the tooth down into a position of full eruption.
- Wisdom Teeth Removal: If the existence of wisdom teeth – erupted, impacted, or otherwise – negatively affects dentition, your orthodontist may recommend extraction to reduce crowding and related problems.
- Tooth replacement: In situations in which a missing tooth is not replaced and remaining teeth begin to shift, a dental implant may be recommended in order to restore proper balance and alignment before orthodontic treatment begins.
- Anchorage devices: In some cases, orthodontic anchors are needed to better align the teeth during treatment. They are relatively simple to place and can dramatically improve the orthodontist’s control of the bite.
Schedule a Consultation Today
If you are looking for an oral surgeon in Houston you can trust, contact Piney Point Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery to schedule your oral consultation with Dr. Weil and Dr. Koo today. As board certified oral and maxillofacial surgeons, our dentists are equipped with the education, skills, experience, and special training necessary to perform all oral surgery procedures, including those directly related to orthodontic treatment. We proudly serve patients and their families in areas throughout Houston and the greater Memorial area, including Katy, Bellaire, Galleria, Stafford, and Bunker Hill Village, TX.