What does an oral and maxillofacial surgeon do? First, it’s important to understand that oral and maxillofacial surgeons aren’t just dentists. Oral and maxillofacial surgeons are dental specialists, surgically trained in a hospital-based residency program for an additional four years after dental school. They train alongside doctors of internal medicine, general surgery, anesthesiology, otolaryngology (ear, nose and throat), plastic surgery, emergency medicine, and other special medical areas. This additional training and experience focuses almost completely on the bone, skin, and muscles of the face, mouth, and jaw. Oral and maxillofacial surgeons have unique knowledge and expertise which exclusively qualifies them to diagnose and treat a host of functional and cosmetic conditions in this area of the body. If you’re searching for a qualified and compassionate oral health specialist, schedule an Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon appointment with Dr. Koo and Piney Point OMS today. Dr. Koo is a highly regarded oral surgeon, now delivering first-class care daily throughout the greater Houston, TX, area including: Stafford, Meyerland, Bellaire, Lamar Terrace, Galleria, Briargrove, Rice Military, Heights, Bunker Hill Village, Hunters Creek Village, Hedwig Village, Katy, and the surrounding communities.
How Can an Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon Help You?
- Dental Implant Surgery: Dental implant surgery is best performed by a trained oral surgeon with specialized experience and expertise in case complications arise.
- Wisdom Teeth Management: A partially erupted wisdom tooth can damage neighboring teeth as well as cause severe pain and discomfort.
- Treatment of Facial Injury: Facial trauma includes fractures of the upper and lower jaws and the orbits surrounding the eyes, as well as facial lacerations.
- Facial Cosmetic Surgery: Extensive education and training in surgical procedures involving the skin, muscle, bone, and cartilage unique qualifies the oral and maxillofacial surgeon to understand harmony between facial appearance and function. As a result, OMS’s are uniquely qualified to perform facial cosmetic surgical procedures.
- Obstructive Sleep Apnea: Obstructive sleep apnea (OSA) is a serious and even life-threatening sleep disorder.
- Head, Neck, and Oral Cancer: Over 40,000 Americans will be diagnosed with oral or pharyngeal cancer this year.
- Dental and Soft Tissue Surgery: Oral and facial surgeons surgically treat the soft tissues of the face, mouth, and gums to improve function, appearance, and overall oral health.
- Cleft Lip/Palate and Craniofacial Surgery: A cleft lip may require one or more surgeries over a period of several years depending on the extent of reconstruction needed.
- Administration of Anesthesia: Oral and maxillofacial surgeons are extensively trained to appropriately administer local anesthesia, as well as all forms of sedation and general anesthesia.
- Corrective Jaw Surgery: Orthognathic surgery can be performed to correct the misalignment of jaws and teeth.
- TMJ and Facial Pain: Temporomandibular Joint (TMJ) disorders common among women aged 20-40. Individuals with a TMJ disorder may experience a variety of symptoms, including: earaches, headaches, and limited ability to open the mouth.
Houston Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon Appointments
When you choose a qualified oral surgeon, you choose unparalleled expertise and experience. If you have an oral health concern, schedule an Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon appointment with Dr. Koo and Piney Point OMS today. Dr. Koo is a well reviewed oral surgeon, now delivering patient-centered care daily throughout the greater Houston, TX, area including: Stafford, Meyerland, Bellaire, Lamar Terrace, Galleria, Briargrove, Rice Military, Heights, Bunker Hill Village, Hunters Creek Village, Hedwig Village, Katy, and the neighboring cities.